Sunday 27 October 2013

Why start this blog?

If you've ever written a book or a poem or maybe a song, then you know one of the first questions people tend to ask you is, "Why?" Why did you write that? Why did you create that?
I think it's a fair question. People want to know about the heart behind your creation, why behind what you do.

Earlier this year, while still serving at Ogbomoso, Oyo state, I was opportuned to return to Lagos to spend a little time with my family as schools were on vacation. It happened that I accompanied a friend to unilag where he was invited for a job test for one of the banks around. He didn't really know the venue of the test so I decided to take him there. When we eventually got to the venue, it turned out to be a kinda reunion of some sort cos we saw friends, classmates, schoolmates and the likes all there for the same job test.

Some had completed their service while others like me were still serving. As you know, the crowd was crazy. We all got acquainted on the latest happenings in our daily grinds as it had been quite an age for a few of us. I remained outside, waiting for my friend as they went in to write the test in batches. All I did was marvel at the number of people because these same peeps had at one time or the other said they weren't interested in the banking industry (y'all know why, don't you? ). It then dawned on me that in a few months I would be joining this group and others at large who were in this pursuit of happiness(job hunt). It was a sickening and frustrating feeling, trust me. I felt like we were all doomed and hopeless,really. So it got me thinking, remembering that I was created to solve my frustrations.

My mentor, @iamsteveharris once taught me that our design is hidden in two things;
- our frustration and,
- our fascination.
Its simple just ask yourselve these questions;
- what frustrates me when its poorly done? You are designed to solve that frustration
- what fascinates me when its properly done? You are designed to add to your fascination.

That's by the way, anyways. I got really frustrated by number of graduates/corpers who were on this pursuit for happiness yet couldn't make any headway. Hence, this blog.
I went back to my ppa and took a survey like I mentioned in my first post. You can look it up if you haven't. The results were shocking. I asked some of the corps memebers questions like, "what are your post NYSC plans with respect to getting a job?" I got funny answers like "Na God ooo", "No job for naija oo, wetin man go do na?" etc I kept asking myself if this guys maybe expected God to descend from heaven to get them jobs or something. Dunno, just saying.

Hence, I decided to use this medium to air my version of events to at least help alleviate this decay in our system. Hopefully, I've been doing justice to that with your support of course.
Please do keep your comments, questions and requests coming. Follow me on twitter @daviesreward or send a mail to daviesreward13@gmail.com . Indebted to helping you overcome your challenges.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment